Struggling with deploying Node Express app

Hi,

I am very new to hosting and purchased a VPS to host a 1 page Node website. This will expand in time to a full website.

In the meantime I have been trying to get this hosted for over 1 month now and am really getting frustrated. I initially had a VPS setup with Ubuntu and Cyberpanel with Openlitespeed.

I felt that it was too much and overcomplicating this so I decided to stick with just an Ubuntu VPS with Openlitespeed and Node.

But I am still really struggling!

I have tried to use the instructions here: https://openlitespeed.org/kb/running-node-js-apps-with-openlitespeed/ to adapt to how to deploy my website but nothing. Also tried following these instructions to setup https://openlitespeed.org/kb/setting-up-name-based-virtual-hosting-on-openlitespeed/ but still nothing.

I also tried editing the 'Example' virtual host and upload my files to that structure but when I visit my domain, the page just loads and loads until it timesout.

I think it may be to do with the locations of my directories but I am absolutely lost on this.

My 'app.js' file only contains the settings and config for the app. My routes (only 1 for now) are stored in a separate folder so not sure if it could be that.

Here is my app folder structure:
1685471909030.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If let's say I take the already created 'Example' virtual host, which of my files do I place in which of the already created directories on the VPS server?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi @Cold-Egg thanks for your reply. The issue isn't whether Node works or not. When I setup my VPS with Openlitespeed, I assigned my domain during startup and when I visit my domain, it does display the "Hello World" text from the already created 'Example' virtual host on my Openlitespeed console:

1685552714773.png

I think the issue is where I should place my folder and file structure that I have (screenshot appears in my post above) and getting the correct Document Root locations correct but I have tried everything but somehow doesn't like my setup.

When I upload my files and then run 'node app.js' in the terminal, it does appear to run but just doesn't show on my browser.

Anyway, I will give your link a go but like I said, Node seems to be running fine with the sample virtual host. It's just when I try and upload my folders is where things don't work.

i'm really sorry, im new to VPS, what do you mean launching OpenLiteSpeed NodeJS from server? The I installed an ubuntu distribution with NodeJS already installed in it. I use PuTTY to get into the server.

I really apreciate the time that you are taking to answer me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
the disk image with Node JS installed is available on different cloud portals

(the truth is where I am, the release date of the image is 2020/12/24)

You need to look carefully from the inside. And maybe there will be fewer questions. (I'm considering another disk image this way) here's a list of them.

https://marketplace.alibabacloud.com/store/3246085.html
2023-10-15_16-08-38.png

i'm really sorry, im new to VPS, what do you mean launching OpenLiteSpeed NodeJS from server? The I installed an ubuntu distribution with NodeJS already installed in it. I use PuTTY to get into the server.

I really apreciate the time that you are taking to answer me.
What is the server in your VPS system ? -

- openlitespeed
--nginx
- apache

Or show the link where did you get the finished image from ?

I wanted to set up several wordpress and NodeJS on my VPS . I'm reading now - so that I don't have to ask too much yet because I'm new to this field.

Last edited: