openlitespeed-wordpress on Google Cloud depreciated?

Just wanted to confirm as i logged into google cloud to spin up a new instance and i'm met with this message:

Is it true? the easy click deployment is no longer supported on GCP?

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 12.50.28 PM.png

What does that mean for users after March 2024? Do i have to change to the new version? My website is very big and I don't like to upgrade. Can i continiue using this version?

Cold-Egg

Administrator
No need to worry about launched instances, and a new version of the OpenLiteSpeed WordPress image will be published to the marketplace soon.

Jon

No problem, thanks again for the report.

Hi Cold-Egg,

I have also been using the about to be deprecated 'openlitespeed-wordpress' GCP image to run my small website on GCP for the last few years.

Can you advise what my options are, seeing as the newer 'openlitespeed with wordpress' GCP image has a $4.00 pcm subscription which I want to avoid... (as I understand it OLS is free and thus paying for it seems counter-intuitive.)

Forgive my ignorance I'm a teacher and tech is just a hobby...

- If I don't switch to the new version will my website stop running on March 10th (this Sunday)?
- Could I keep the old instance running and install the free OLS or perhaps Apache / NGINX web server myself on my GCP VM?
- Would that lead to patching / snapshot / security issues down the line?

LiteSpeed email says:
"You can continue using openlitespeed--wordpress until March 10th, 2024"

Any help highly appreciated ty

Can you advise what my options are, seeing as the newer 'openlitespeed with wordpress' GCP image has a $4.00 pcm subscription which I want to avoid... (as I understand it OLS is free and thus paying for it seems counter-intuitive.)
Hi John,

Could you clarify this $4.00 pcm you are talking about as i couldn't see it anywhere in the billing or deployment section of the marketplace solution?

Jon

Thank you for the answer Cold-Egg.

@arithmatics, Upon closer inspection it seems the pricing hasn't changed between the old (openlitespeed-wordpress) and new (openlitespeed with wordpress) product. Both products charge a $5.00 pcm (4.00 UK pounds) licence fee...

However, GCP says "New Google Cloud customers may be eligible for free trial. " on both products, and so I think I'm not being charged the $5.00 pcm licence fee since I was a new GCP customer when I fired up my instance...

See attached screenshots of both products' pricing info in my GCP:

New Product:
New Openlitespeed WITH wordpress Product.jpg

Old Product:
Old Openlitespeed-wordpress Product.jpg

Hope that helps,
I'm going to ask GCP support if I am able to upgrade without having to pay the licence fee going forwards...

oh! i understand now. well I was always under the impression that it's a fee set by google similar to apple app store fees developers pay to have their apps listed. But if you prefer setting it all up on your own then you wouldn't need to worry about the fees.