Permission problems

Hello!
I use Vultr hosting with OLS-WP one-click-install. The hoster does not support server configuration, so I am looking for help here.

Apparently, I have a problem with file access rights, but due to a misunderstanding of how OLS works, I cannot solve it on my own.

The problem is the following. When trying to upload a file to the library, the error “filename.jpg” has failed to upload.
The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads/2024/09.

It is also impossible to update plugins from the admin panel: Update failed: Could not create directory. /path/wp-content/upgrade/pluginname.

In addition, the site began to lose its position in the search (apparently due to the fact that plugins cannot work properly).

It started after I set up access to the server via sftp. I did everything according to the hoster's instructions (by the way, the instructions have been deleted at the moment). Created a user and a ftpaccess group, set their access rights.

The error indicates that there are no write permissions, but I reassigned the rights in accordance with wordpress standards — it did not help.

The problem is solved if you set the rights to the 777 files, but this is a big security hole.

Tell me, please, how can I check and understand the reason? What data do I need to provide in order to understand the problem?

OS Ubuntu.

Thank you!