Any change to Example site config and can't resolve sites

Update: Site resolved successfully a few hours later with no change on my part... perhaps a caching issue with load balancer? Changed to different type of LB. Also noticed apache was running, so I removed that. Was able to remove map for Example and everything stayed live! Now I expect it to all disappear in a few hours with no change on my part :-P

Original:
At my wits end - surely I'm overlooking something elementary. Clean AWS Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS with latest OLS installed via apt-get. Left the Example site as-is and added another map under the 8088 listener for Wordpress. This was working as expected. I could access the Wordpress site via its mapped domain, or I could enter any subdomain and reach the Example site (since it had the * catchall).

When I changed the catchall to a specific subdomain, both sites and the webadmin console threw 503 errors for everything. When I try to connect directly via IP address, it seems to work. Manually changed the subdomain back to the catchall, restarted the server, and 5 - 10 minutes later (perhaps this delay is related to the AWS load balancer?) the sites come back up. Changed it again and the same thing occurred. Changed it back and 5 - 10 minutes later the sites came back online.

I then tried deleting the Example site outright (both the map assigned under 8088 and the vhost) and this had the same result; except restoring it didn't bring the sites back. In fact, uninstalling OLS and reinstalling either an older version or the latest or the binary still resulted in a 503 error for webadmin console and Example, despite the fact everything in lsws directory had been wiped and the install was back to its defaults.

Had to restore the backup image of the drive to get back to where I was originally. I'm flummoxed. I don't see anything of much relevance in the log files, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Error.log shows server starting up successfully then nothing. Access.log shows a bunch of 404s.

When I did the binary install, the errors (which might be unrelated to the originating issue) were:
2020-06-09 04:29:17.024174 [INFO] [PlainConf] [adminConfig:] Failed to RCS checkin conf file /usr/local/lsws/admin/conf/admin_config.conf0, ret 32512, error(Bad file descriptor). Org command is ci -l -q -t-"/usr/local/lsws/admin/conf/admin_config.conf0" -mUpdate "/usr/local$
2020-06-09 04:29:17.030418 [INFO] [PlainConf] [virtualHostConfig:] Failed to RCS checkin conf file /usr/local/lsws/conf/vhosts/Example/vhconf.conf0, ret 32512, error(No such file or directory).
Failed to RCS checkin conf file /usr/local/lsws/conf/templates/phpsuexec.conf0, ret 32512, error(Invalid argument).
[ZConfManager] No VHosts added, do not send!

Last edited: