How to optimize openlitespeed-wordpress on GCP f1-micro (1 vCPU, 0.6 GB memory)?

ubob

Hi,
After deploying openlitespeed-wordpress on Google cloud f1-micro (1 vCPU, 0.6 GB memory, 10GB SSD persistent disk) machine and installing woocommerce plugin im getting this recommendation
Instance is overutilized. Consider switching to the machine type: g1-small (1 vCPU, 1.7 GB memory)
i was kind of hoping that openlitespeed-wordpress will be lighter than other apache based deployments but after installing only woocommerce plugin it seems to be consuming most of the 0.6 GB RAM.
Is there any guide to optimize the resources used by OLS so i could avoid the overuse? Thank you

Last edited:

Cold-Egg

Administrator
Hi @ubob ,

LiteSpeed is really lightweight, you can check litespeed process memory percentage.
Code:
ps aux | head -1; ps aux | grep litespeed | grep -v grep
It's quite normal to exceed 0.6GB for a woocommerce site. In general, DB and PHP spend the most.

Best,
Eric

ubob

Hi @ubob ,

LiteSpeed is really lightweight, you can check litespeed process memory percentage.
Code:
ps aux | head -1; ps aux | grep litespeed | grep -v grep
It's quite normal to exceed 0.6GB for a woocommerce site. In general, DB and PHP spend the most.

Best,
Eric
the problem is that when occasionally RAM exceeds the VM instance becomes unresponsive and must be stopped and start again, do you think allocating 1GB for Swap would help overcome this issue?

Pong

Administrator
0.6 GB memory looks too small. Your php and database will still need RAM to process, especially for woocommerce, not a simple wordpress site. Setting SWAP should be good practice when running out memory. increasing your RAM should be another soluttion. Enabling cache should help to avoid heavy PHP and database processes. but PHP and MySQL will still need resource to do the job when cache expired or no-cached pages like checkout.

the problem is that when occasionally RAM exceeds the VM instance becomes unresponsive and must be stopped and start again, do you think allocating 1GB for Swap would help overcome this issue?
Hi Ubob, I tried to use wordpress in different machine instances (Until 4GB Ram e2-standard-2) on GPC and all of them became unresponsive at different momments and I had to stop the instance and start it again. Im looking for a solution because if you pay for a shared hosting normally your wordpress will be up more time, and a shared hosting is a bad option for speed and more important things. Do you know more about it?