How To Upgrade To New Version

lsmichael

:rolleyes:

Hmmmm. You're right. We don't have this anywhere. Make install-ing the latest version preserves your configurations. For CentOS, you can just
Code:
yum install openlitespeed
because we have an official repository. I'm not sure how this works with Stefano's Debian repository.

But, yes, agreed. We need an official explanation on the site.

m

Basically what i do now is just compile the new version, install it and then go back in and edit the admin password to the panel. I'm afraid though that it might eventually mess up so before I do it each time I copy my /usr/local/lsws location to /usr/local/lsws.bak. :p

Not everybody installs via a repository so instructions need to be included for those of us who download the source and compile from there.

When you install a new version, it's changing your password? It's not supposed to do that...
Yep, on all 3 of my Debian boxes I always have to go in and reset my password. If I don't, I can't log in. It's not changing my password - but totally clobbering the account I have set up (I don't use the admin logon, I create my own).
I want to clarify... I download the actual source and do the configure and compile on my system. This may have something to do with it since it appears to install all default again, overwriting any existing files (I even have to go back in and modify to compile 5.5.11 of PHP in and then perform a rebuild of PHP).

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 12.39.54 AM.png

And this is the result when I try to log in on that server

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 12.40.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 12.41.50 AM.png

And then I can log in.

Last edited:

lsmichael

Hey @Tracy Perry

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem you're having. The developers have tried it on Debian and Ubuntu (and a bunch of other OSs), but haven't seen anything like this. Is it still happening with 1.3.1? If so, maybe we'll have a developer take a look at your installation?

m

Hey @Tracy Perry

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem you're having. The developers have tried it on Debian and Ubuntu (and a bunch of other OSs), but haven't seen anything like this. Is it still happening with 1.3.1? If so, maybe we'll have a developer take a look at your installation?

m
1.3.1 performed as expected it should (download source, configure, make && make install) and nothing got stomped!
One problem I have had is I set it up for a guys site and now it's logging me in with his login - but I think that's Chrome and the Mac acting wonky because I had to log in using his to verify and apparently (without me telling it to) the Mac is remembering his login. :cautious:

The site I am referring to was running 1.2.8 and he was getting hit hard and resource use was high. Just upgrading to 1.3.1 helped out with that on his site (of course, after a few tweaks it was even better).
Now I just got to learn what the modules are for.

lsmichael

:D The modules are for page caching (and later pagespeed) and then for you and your friends to build on even more functionality. We're still working on the documentation, though. It's turned out to be a bear...