ModSecurity Not Working When Using Openlitespeed As Reverse Proxy

Hi Friends,
Openlitespeed is a great piece of software and do the job very well.
I have enabled ModSecurity module in Openlitespeed and it worked perfectly.
But the problem arises when I configured Openlitespeed as a reverse proxy to
my Ghost CMS blog; ModSecurity is no longer working for this website.

Please help me solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

I ran into the same issue. OLS 1.6.19 is set up with mod_security globally enabled using the Comodo WAF ruleset.

When a local file is requested during tests, mod_security reports the match and triggers an intervention status code. OLS responses with the new status code. So far, so good.
If the same test is applied to a vhost which has a reverse proxy configured, mod_security does the check and also correctly reports the match and intervention in the server error log, but OLS does not response with the new status code. Instead the reverse proxy request is executed and returned in full, and it seems the mod_security intervention gets completely ignored.

@Cold-Egg thank you for the quick reply.

I switched to the edge repository and upgraded to version 1.7.8.

The behaviour is exactly the same, for local files the mod_security intervention works as it should, for requests with a proxy configured mod_security logs an intervention but OLS processes the request unaffected (thus does the proxy request and returns the payload).

I also tried (with version 1.6.19) different hook priorities in case it's a pipeline priority issue, but neither forcing it early with -6000 or late with 6000 changes the behaviour. This also matches the order in the server error log: mod_security intervention is always logged first, followed by the proxy debug headers (cf. bug https://github.com/litespeedtech/openlitespeed/issues/166), thus regardless of the mod_security intervention the request is afterwards processed normally.
It seems to me that mod_security correctly sets the return status code for the request (looking at the source code there is no path for it not to do so after logging the intervention), but the proxy is invoked without checking that condition and then overwrites the response with the data received from the proxy endpoint (I am not familiar enough with the internal architecture to check that or even know where to look for it though).

Cold-Egg

Administrator
Maybe my scenario is different, just tested OLS as a proxy + Apache, and the Mod Security works on v1.7.7.

Code:
[Module:mod_security] ModSecurity: Warning. detected SQLi using libinjection. [file "/usr/local/lsws/conf/owasp/owasp-modsecurity-crs/rules/REQUEST-942-APPLICATION-ATTACK-SQLI.conf"] [line "45"] [id "942100"] [rev ""] [msg "SQL Injection Attack Detected via libinjection"] [data "Matched Data: n&1 found within ARGS:a: b AND 1=1"] [severity "2"] [ver "OWASP_CRS/3.2.0"] [maturity "0"] [accuracy "0"] [hostname "161.35.190.236"] [uri "/"] [unique_id "161162740382.321211"] [ref "v8,9"]
2021-01-26 02:16:43.269155 [INFO] [58.115.204.46:6355#Example] [Module:mod_security]Intervention status code triggered: 403
You might want to raise a ticket to support@litespeedtech.com so we can check further.

@Cold-Egg thank you, I raised a ticket.

mod_security itself works fine, the WAF violations are reported correctly (as in your log excerpt).
The problem is that the proxy context is nonetheless fully executed instead of immediately blocking the request with the mod_security raised status code.

edan

@Cold-Egg thank you, I raised a ticket.

mod_security itself works fine, the WAF violations are reported correctly (as in your log excerpt).
The problem is that the proxy context is nonetheless fully executed instead of immediately blocking the request with the mod_security raised status code.
@takerukoushirou did you managed to find solution to have OLS in reverse proxy to work with mod_security?

Hi,
I remember it should work, but I couldn't find the post. If you can reproduce it, please provide the reproduce method to bug@litespeedtech.com so we can take a deeper look.
@Cold-Egg did you managed to find the guide?