OpenLiteSpeed slower than nginx for XenForo

J

John

I am a very happy user of OpenLiteSpeed and due to the great tutorial of @Slavik I could setup my own server with the latest technology. On fpm-nginx my forum start page which is very heavily using PHP because of hundreds of subforums (MySQL does not having any noticeably effect on the time measured here) took around 0.10 seconds to ouptut the page (measured this with xenforo debug mode). On OpenLiteSpeed it took around 0.14 seconds. These measurements took place on a live community serverd by a absolutely over-powered server.

So I bet there is room for optimization, I will dig into the documents available.

Tracy Perry

I am a very happy user of OpenLiteSpeed and due to the great tutorial of @Slavik I could setup my own server with the latest technology. On fpm-nginx my forum start page which is very heavily using PHP because of hundreds of subforums (MySQL does not having any noticeably effect on the time measured here) took around 0.10 seconds to ouptut the page (measured this with xenforo debug mode). On OpenLiteSpeed it took around 0.14 seconds. These measurements took place on a live community serverd by a absolutely over-powered server.

So I bet there is room for optimization, I will dig into the documents available.
I'm noticing the same thing. My forum under nginx was VERY responsive. Under OpenLiteSpeed there is a noticeable lag. And there is NO way my server is underpowered (it's a dual L5639 with 24GB RAM).

EDITED:
Forgot, I moved the site over to my faster server and moved the L5520 it was on to using Proxmox to serve out VPS's.

J

John

Yes, I also have 12 (fast) cores and 64 GB RAM for a really small community. So it might be possible that nginx runs much faster than OpenLitespeed on over-powered servers? And OpenLitespeed might be good if the server is very busy.

J

John

You could just compile PHP with the ZEND OP Cache, then you do not have to worry about anything.

You could just compile PHP with the ZEND OP Cache, then you do not have to worry about anything.
Finally (after a LOT of reading) figured out that the php.ini file was not being read. Fixed that and it's working now. I thought ZEND OP Cache was only with 5.5.x branch - which is (IMO) not quite ready for prime time. Last I read some folks were having problems with it and xenForo.

J

John

Zend Op Cache works fine on Xenforo, at least I do not get any errors.

Zend Op Cache is ready for lots of even older releases of php, you just have to enable it with the -- parameter when compiling php.

Zend Op Cache works fine on Xenforo, at least I do not get any errors.

Zend Op Cache is ready for lots of even older releases of php, you just have to enable it with the -- parameter when compiling php.
Well, I was able to get it all running... I'm sitting with a 3GB memcache set up a 1GB xCache doing opcode caching. Now we'll see how it compares to nginx.

J

John

But is it faster? I also use ZEND OP Cache, Memcached, and even PHP 5.5 instead of PHP 5.4, but it's slower than on nginx.

But is it faster? I also use ZEND OP Cache, Memcached, and even PHP 5.5 instead of PHP 5.4, but it's slower than on nginx.
Well, I've had to go back to nginx on my production site as I was having TONS of problems with re-writes (I have several other domains that also point to my main domain). They would never work and when I would use a standard htaccess re-write it could never find the site. I guess I'll continue playing with it on an optional port until I can fully get it figured out.

Slavik

Administrator
Well, I've had to go back to nginx on my production site as I was having TONS of problems with re-writes (I have several other domains that also point to my main domain). They would never work and when I would use a standard htaccess re-write it could never find the site. I guess I'll continue playing with it on an optional port until I can fully get it figured out.
Can you post the re-writes up your using?

Maybe its a bug, ive had no issue with custom rewrites in OLS

I'll have to change the port later and then start it up. About to leave the house to eat and then go to GameStop for the COD Ghost party. :p

lsmichael

So, yeah, I'm sorry I missed all this.

I would be able to understand if you didn't see any discernible difference between nginx and OpenLiteSpeed — that would just mean the bottleneck is somewhere else — but, at least according to our tests, you shouldn't ever experience a slowdown with OpenLiteSpeed. I'd love to know what's going on.:love:

And, yeah, please post the rewrites you're having trouble with (but post them in a different thread for easy search later).

m