Timeout on large file size downloads through PHP

D

doughnet

I notice this a few weeks ago when trying to setup OpenLiteSpeed & a couple self hosted cloud sites ( OwnCloud & Pydio). What happens is while downloading a file that is large enough to take more than a couple seconds the download will trickle down until it gets to zero bytes/second! I thought maybe it was OwnCloud (my first test) so I tried Pydio, but got the same issue. Then I thought maybe it was OpenLiteSpeed; therefore I put a raw 100mb file in the root web server to access it and download it directly. This worked 100% of the time (tried it 100 times). I then tried different PHP versions (default installation & 5.x.x versions) which all caused the same issues. Logs show that it is being downloaded and that it is completed being downloaded as well. I will try to setup an instance of the environment for people to try out. Currently I was forced to use LiteSpeed Standard (free) since I wasn't able to get any fixes to this problem. LiteSpeed Standard (free) does not have this issue at all.

Recap:
-It's not owncloud or pydio (works on apache/nginx)
-It's not OpenLiteSpeed (direct downloads work not using php)
-Logs show a clean download (no errors/timeouts)
-Must be LSPHP causing the issues? (common factor between)

Memory: 128MB - 8GB RAM (tried different systems)
CPU: Single & Multicores
Disk: EXT3 & EXT4 with HDD & SSD
Network: 10mbit - 1000mbit

Pics (for now until i get download links available):

lsmichael

Howdy,

Thanks for reporting this. We believe this is a bug that was reported recently on the Google Group. It will be fixed in the next version. You should be able to use versions 1.3.5 or 1.2.11 without issue.

Cheers,

Michael

D

doughnet

Thank you for getting back to me. Glad it's not just me going crazy. Is it easy to go from litespeed free to openlitespeed? I like the web admin for the latest openlitespeed beta best!

lsmichael

Depends on if you're using Apache configs or not. If all your configs are in LiteSpeed-native files, there are not too many files to edit when you're switching back and forth. (Technically, you might be able to use the same XML files for LSWS Standard and OpenLiteSpeed, but this is not something we have tested. It would probably be best to try saving your configs in a different folder and replacing files one by one.)

There has been talk about making an easy way to port from Standard to OpenLiteSpeed, but it's a rather low priority right now.

And we're glad you like the new WebAdmin console. We really like it too!

Cheers,

Michael

D

doughnet

I just tried on new system LiteSpeed Standard (free) and it caused the same freezing issue!
Litespeed Web Server Standard v4.2.18

Curious if this is becoming an issue for ALL the LiteSpeed & OpenLiteSpeed

PM me if you like a download link to test with.

lsmichael

Hmmmm. This could be a separate issue. We have not had any reports of this on Standard or Enterprise. Here is a patch for 1.3. If it does not fix the issue, then you are experiencing a different problem. (This would also explain why you have the issue on Standard.)

If you'd like the techs to log into you machine to look at the Standard installation (or if you decide to try Enterprise on a trial license), email bug@litespeedtech.com They've been alerted to your case.

Michael

Attachments

D

doughnet

Want to say lsmichael, that you are by far one of the best customer service agents i've dealt with. I appreciate the prompt responding and great information. To apply the patch, I use the OLSW source and then run "patch -p1 < dynrespstallpatch.txt" while in the folder? Again, thanks for your help.

lsmichael

Why thank you. We try to help everyone as soon as we can. I'm about to be in Russia for a couple days (a conference), so things might slow down a bit.

Ran it by the developers (I never deal with source code myself). They say you should run: patch -p0 < dynrespstallpatch.txt

Cheers,

Michael