what should be the permission for the Wordpress folder?

Hi guys I am running into a bit of trouble with linux permission what is the appropriate user and permission for the wordpress folder in OLS? the /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/ and all the wordpress file underneath it? I am guessing root is not correct.

I installed ProFTPD on the server so that I create an FTP user and give it to the developer to handle the website. What permission needs to be given to FTP users so that they work without knowing the server.

David

I get some user report as you.
I am thinking give you a perfect solution, to try to avoid such permission issue.
Can you give me more info?
How you did the installation? How did you setup FTP? Are they run as different user?

Ownership: sudo chown -R nobody:nogroup /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/*
Folder permissions: sudo find /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
File permissions: sudo find /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

I do this every time I upgrade wordpress via command line.

/usr/local/lsws/wordpress/ - root 755
Folders inside are the same. This was the default by lsws and I ran into issues changing it.
I'm remembering my target folder inside is html which holds wordpress, etc.
lsws/wordpress is the path to the vhost.

So for me its more like:

Ownership: sudo chown -R nobody:nogroup /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/html/*
Folder permissions: sudo find /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/html/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
File permissions: sudo find /usr/local/lsws/wordpress/html/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

With wp-cli installed: https://wp-cli.org/

I found for it to work I needed to run as root. Nobody did not work.

To update: sudo wp core update
It will yell at you about updating as root. It's right to, but I do not know the workaround. You then proceed to fix permissions as above.