Docker, OLS, and Lucee/Tomcat (ColdFusion) - Creating an image to share with all

Oranuf

THE GOAL
I am in the process of creating a Docker image with a very specific configuration:
  • Debian 9.3
  • Latest version of LiteSpeed
  • Lucee 5.2.6.060
Upon which I may base additional ColdFusion apps (CFWheels, Mura). I am working to make it as "generic" as possible, so that others may pull the docker image and be up and running with LS and CF in a matter of minutes. It is my way to give back to both the LS and CF/Lucee communities, and gain further exposure for the LiteSpeed server, which through WordPress installs I have grown to really enjoy and see great beneft.

I am seeking assistance as I work through the process, as I know I am missing some basic information.

So far, i have heavily tweaked the one-click install script for LiteSpeed, such that it is nearly bare-bones, specifically for Debian 9, and serves only one purpose - to download and install LiteSpeed. I am using this stripped down one-click script as part of my Dockerfile that builds the image, but for the purposes of this discussion, I feel pretty confident that we can ignore that Docker is even in the mix - for now, I am working within a container already, to try and configure LiteSpeed and Lucee/Tomcat to play well together, and try to figure out how the caching would work, based on my existing experience with the WordPress plugin. If I am successful, I may even be able to develop a similar plugin for Mura.

I am working off of the premise that almost everything configuration-wise will be done in the *virtual host* configuration file. This is to keep things as simple as possible, since the whole point of this being a Docker image is that it will provide only one service - HTML/ColdFusion page generation and serving, for one single app. If I can distribute the Docker image with the server configuration as solid as possible and making it easy for the user of the Docker image to customize the install by editing a single vhost file and .htaccess, this seems like an ideal distribution.

CURRENT PROGRESS
So far, I have installed both LS and Lucee, and by adding a virtual host in Lucee's server.xml file, combined with the LS vhost, I am able to serve .cfm pages without issue from a virtual host well beyond the LS Example host. This seems like a pretty good milestone already, though I don't know if I've made the connection in the most efficient manner. Here's what I have so far, within the docker container:
  • Created the following directories:
    • /srv/APP/httpd - this becomes the vhost root. Permissions for this directory and all subdirectories are set to nobody:nogroup, except for the conf directory mentioned below;

• /srv/APP/httpd/www - this becomes the vhost DOCUMENT root;

• /srv/APP/httpd/conf - this is where the vhost config file resides (the LS admin will NOT let one put a vhost config file outside $SERVER_ROOT, so I'm apparently breaking a rule here... i programmed this location into the Litespeed httpd_config.conf file, and set permissions on this directory to lsadm:lsadm to get this to work;

• /srv/APP/httpd/logs - this is where the vhost LOGS will be written.
  • Created listeners for my APP, both standard ( : 80) and SSL ( : 443) in the httpd_config.conf file. For now, the SSL listener uses the same LiteSpeed certificates in use by the LiteSpeed admin;

• Set up my vhost file (again, /srv/APP/httpd/conf/vhconf.conf) as follows:

docRoot $VH_ROOT/www
    errorlog $VH_ROOT/logs/error.log {
    useServer 0
    logLevel NOTICE
    rollingSize 64M
    }
    accesslog $VH_ROOT/logs/access.log {
    useServer 0
    logFormat <<<END_logFormat
    %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\
    logHeaders 7
    END_logFormat
    rollingSize 64M
    keepDays 60
    bytesLog $VH_ROOT/logs/bytes.log
    compressArchive 1
    }
    index {
    useServer 0
    indexFiles index.cfm
    }

scripthandler {
    add servlet:Lucee cfm
    }
    extprocessor Lucee {
    type servlet
    address localhost:8009
    maxConns 1000
    pcKeepAliveTimeout -1
    initTimeout 15
    retryTimeout 15
    respBuffer 0
    }
    context / {
    type null
    location $DOC_ROOT
    allowBrowse 1
    enableExpires 1
    indexFiles index.cfm
    rewrite {
    enable 1
    inherit 0
    rewriteFile $DOC_ROOT/.htaccess
    }
    addDefaultCharset off
    enableIpGeo 1

}
...and this file has enabled .cfm files to be passed from LiteSpeed to Lucee for processing - i can call https://localhost/index.cfm, and get an updated date/time output with each page refresh.
  • attempted to set up the .htaccess file in the $DOC_ROOT, so that caching could be enabled. Initially I had a cache module configured at the server level, but again, I'd rather have the configuration stick as closely as possible to the vhost or .htaccess file as possible.

When I had the cache module configured in LSAdmin at the server level, I turned on public and private (set =1) and EVERYTHING was cached, including my dynamic ColdFusion page... so I know the configuration between CF and LS *does* work and is capable of caching. It's just that I cannot remove the cache module from the server level and enable it in .htaccess, and have it work.

CURRENT QUESTIONS
1. How do I enable caching at the vhost level for my Lucee/ColdFusion site, using .htaccess? The instructions in the Wiki all appear to be for an older version of LSWS, and I'm not sure which ones apply in this situation anyway.

2. How do I configure the cache to work similar to the base WordPress/LSCache install, but for a custom app or a CMS like Mura? It is a given that static resources should be cached, but the dynamic pages are the fly in the ointment of course. Once I get caching working, I obviously have to make sure I balance out the caching with the nature of dynamic pages - I can't have a page that should show the current date/time on each request simply kick out the date/time of the page as it exists in the cache =D ... so I need to have a basis for caching that not only *I* can live with, but a "safe" configuraiton with some options, hopefully configured via .htaccess, for any other person wishing to jump start their project using my Docker image of this configuration.

3. Initial roadblock - confused about contexts. While I have CF dynamic pages being served from my current configuration, I feel like it's mostly by chance. I have the cache module added at the server level, and then settings to override that in the static context that was part of the original OLS setup... but the way it's set up right now, it's actually holding on to my test CF page (same date/time even though it should be updating every refresh), and yet the static HTML page I created is not cached at all. Both have the additional (nonsense) headers I added in the context, just so I could tell the context config is being applied, but to be honest, I'm pretty lost as to how page caching is supposed to work. I'm not even sure what my goals and expectations SHOULD be in this regard... again, i'm just kinda looking to recreate the same kind of functionality as what I see in the WordPress/LSCache plugin combo. Then again, i'm not even sure of what I'm seeing THERE, other than dynamic pages are not being regenerated by PHP on every request. Something similar for CF/Lucee would be nice with some way to control it/configure it. My .htaccess file attempts were all futile so far... nothing seemed to work, even though no errors appeared in the server log.

My (awesome) experience with LSWS/LSCache so far has really been in the context of the WordPress plugin, which works absolutely great... LS seems to know when these dynamic PHP pages have actually changed, and serves them up fresh, but then serves them from the cache for a set period of time, optimizing the entire WordPress install. It's been excellent for all my WordPress clients, but to be honest, I don't quite know how it does it. The WP plugin seems to modify .htaccess, but I'm not sure if that's all it's doing. I tried using the .htaccess rules from a WordPress site, but they didn't work, and I was (and *AM*) getting errors in the server-level error log regarding invalid htaccess directives, even though they seem to work for WordPress sites without issue.

So I'd like to have some idea of how the WordPress-based install of LSWS/LSCache "does its thing" so well, so I can attempt to do the same with a CF site, or a CF-based CMS like Mura. This is more along the lines of the philosophical approach to caching in LSWS in addition to the more straightforward "do this in your config" suggestions I may need.

CONCLUSION
I am happy to provide whatever additional info is required of course, and also include credit to anyone when it comes time to distribute the Docker image, for any assistance provided. My preference would be to work closely with LiteSpeed folks to deliver this very specialized Docker image first, and then genericize it to more OS's beyond Debian 9.3, as the one-click install script provides. I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible first, but hope to expand the configuration over time.

So there it is... sorry for the length just to ask what are probably very simple questions... but if you have recommendations on how to get these two technologies working as efficient and powerfully as possible together, I'm ready to dig in.

~ oranuf