How to set auto-renewal of Let's Encrypt SSL?

simii

I have an AWS EC2 instance running OpenLiteSpeed, with multiple sites/domains hosted on it.

Everything works fine, but is there a way to set up the auto-renewal of SSL certificates (Let's Encrypt ones)?

gilles

There is no way to do it directly through OLS. The easiest is probably to set up a cron job calling certbot directly or install certbot as systemctl service ("apt install certbot" on Ubuntu).

Cold-Egg

Administrator
Hi @simii,

I remember Let's Encrypt should has auto setup a cronjob on the system, you might need to add the hook for server restart
Edit /etc/cron.d/certbot , and add "--deploy-hook 'systemctl restart lsws' " hook to the end of the default certbot command

gilles

@Cold-Egg is right in that there is a /etc/cron.d/certbot file.

My /etc/cron.d/certbot file looks like this:
Code:
# /etc/cron.d/certbot: crontab entries for the certbot package
#
# Upstream recommends attempting renewal twice a day
#
# Eventually, this will be an opportunity to validate certificates
# haven't been revoked, etc.  Renewal will only occur if expiration
# is within 30 days.  --deploy-hook "/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart"
#
# Important Note!  This cronjob will NOT be executed if you are
# running systemd as your init system.  If you are running systemd,
# the cronjob.timer function takes precedence over this cronjob.  For
# more details, see the systemd.timer manpage, or use systemctl show
# certbot.timer.
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

0 */12 * * * root test -x /usr/bin/certbot -a \! -d /run/systemd/system && perl -e 'sleep int(rand(43200))' && certbot -q renew  --deploy-hook "/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart"
Now reading the help message, it says that the certbot.timer will take precedence if cerbot is run through systemd.
So I just edited /lib/systemd/system/certbot.service to add the '--deploy-hook "/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart"' option.

Cold-Egg

Administrator
Hi @gilles and @simii,

Before systemd updates, we can mix up in use with "lswsctrl" and "systemctl" to restart lsws, but after the certain update, it messed up with systemctl. Like if you have a process start with lswsctrl start then systemctl restart/stop won't touch it.

Please run follow commands,
Code:
/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl stop
systemctl stop lsws
systemctl start lsws
and use hook
Code:
--deploy-hook 'systemctl restart lsws'
that I mentioned earlier, and it should start working properly.

Best,
Eric

gilles

Thanks @Cold-Egg for this precious information. I totally missed that part of your earlier post.
Wouldn't 'try-restart' (i.e. restart if already running) be better than 'restart'?

mcbsys

Wow, glad I saw this. I thought OpenLiteSpeed would automatically handle the certbot customization since it does the Let's Encrypt setup.

To confirm, what is needed is to edit /usr/lib/systemd/system/certbot.service, changing the ExecStart line to this:
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/certbot -q renew --deploy-hook 'systemctl restart lsws'
Correct?

@gilles, seems like if the web server has stopped, you have bigger problems. try-restart would keep it stopped. Is that what you want?

Last edited:

gilles

@mcbsys: But that's what I think is best. I do not want certbot to restart the server if I stopped purposefully for whatever reason. So in my opinion, certbot should only restart the server if it is already running.

Cold-Egg

Administrator
oh, I see. Currently, not many cases that users use OpenLiteSpeed with other webservers on the same server, but free to use try-restart if you want. :)

Colcol

Hi @simii,

I remember Let's Encrypt should has auto setup a cronjob on the system, you might need to add the hook for server restart
Edit /etc/cron.d/certbot , and add "--deploy-hook 'systemctl restart lsws' " hook to the end of the default certbot command
Would be very helpful if someone can clarify whether a Let's Encrypt renewal always requires an OLS restart for the renewal to become properly effective. Nothing is mentioned in the documentation (e.g. https://openlitespeed.org/kb/lets-encrypt-ssl-on-openlitespeed/?seq_no=2)

The official certbot documentation (https://certbot.eff.org/docs/using.html?highlight=hooks#renewing-certificates) advises "You can also specify hooks by placing files in subdirectories of Certbot’s configuration directory", which seems like an alternative option to editing the files mentioned in this thread.